Green Lentil & Sausage Stew
Served with bread and a leafy green salad, this satisfying stew makes an easy, hearty weekday meal that’s especially nice on chilly evenings.
- 8 oz green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 Farcellet Herb Bundle
- 1 lb quality sausages (duck or pork sausage gives great flavor)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1/2–1 cup chicken stock
- salt and black pepper
- Place lentils in a pot and add enough water to cover by 3–4 inches. Add one Farcellet Herb Bundle. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20–25 minutes, being careful not to overcook the lentils.
- While the lentils simmer, cook the sausages in a large frying pan until well browned and caramelized. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan and add the finely diced vegetables. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Once the lentils are tender, drain well and add to the vegetables in the pan, along with the Farcellet. Slice the cooked sausages into chunks and add to the lentil mix. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock and simmer 5 minutes, adding more stock as required to achieve desired consistency.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove the Farcellet and spoon the stew into warmed bowls to serve.